Uselessness With a Twist

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Bulleit Bourbon


I finally bought a bottle of Bulleit bourbon over the weekend. I've eyeballed it a few times in the ABC store, admiring the well-designed bottle and its position on the high shelf. But alas, I don't make it to the ABC store that often, believe it or not. As a matter of reference, the lonely bottle of vodka I've had since December is still hanging in there.

The jury is still out (the one-person jury of me, that is). The flavor is different than what I'm used to, much sharper than a wheaty bourbon like Maker's Mark because of its high rye content -- not high enough to be rye whisky, of course, because then it wouldn't be bourbon. But that's neither here nor there.

The flavor is growing on me. Perhaps not enough to drink straight up, but the sharpness goes great with a double splash of ginger ale and a slice of lime in an old fashioned glass, which for my money is a real bourbon and ginger.

2 comments:

Mike J said...

That would be a tasty toddy right about now. This week I have been enjoying the dregs of an Abolut Peppar fifth. Though an acquired taste, on the rocks with a lemon slice and a splash of grape juice is my new favorite.

kimetime said...

Sounds weird, Mikey. I'll have to try it.