Uselessness With a Twist

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

For those about to suck...

I'm a little behind on this story, but the word on the street is that everyone's favorite fist-pumping guilty pleasure band, AC/DC, recently signed an agreement to let Wal-Mart be the exclusive distributor of the band's new album. At least this will make for a great trivia question: What two things do AC/DC, The Eagles, Garth Brooks and Journey have in common? 1) Exclusive distribution agreements with Wal-Mart and 2)being weak sauce.

I suppose I won't lose sleep over this; it's not like I planned to buy the new record. Back in Black, as we all know, is the only post-Bon Scott album worth listening to. Since then, the band has been on a 28-year cruise through shitty hard rock irrelevance.

When you think about it, the move to team with Wal-Mart just makes sense for AC/DC. I think a quick blurb from Corporate Country Sucks sums this up nicely:
I'm not sure what this says about the industry, but I'm sure it has something to do with the lowest common denominator, slippery slopes and mediocrity.
Well said.

1 comment:

KP said...

you knew they were going Wally-world when every JC Penney and Kohl's started stocking their licensed t-shirts. Don't get me wrong, I loved to rock to these guys in my youth. Shake a Leg will always get me rockin'.