Uselessness With a Twist

Friday, July 4, 2008

Hey Baby, It's the 4th of July

I'll have to say so far that the holiday is coming together nicely, due to the not insignificant fact that my wife and I slept really late -- 9:30, woo hoo -- and then got totally jacked on coffee and cinnamon rolls. Right now, I'm so caffeinated that my hearing is bionic, and I can feel my hair growing.

I have a bit of work to take care of midday, but later plans include seeing some folks, getting tipsy, and perhaps banging out the greatest 4th of July song ever written on my trusty six string. If you don't have a copy of "4th of July" by X, figure out a way get one immediately. Buy it and download it if you must. Just get your ears on a hard or digital copy.

X was the best of the 70s/80s LA punk bands, and they've enjoyed a longevity and vitality that is unmatched by other bands that emerged from that scene. John Doe's music just keeps getting better: see for example 2007's A Year in the Wilderness, released on the incredible Yep Roc label that's based in Haw River, NC, just down the river from Bourbon and Ginger HQ.

"4th of July" is actually about a relationship falling apart; it's also sad, beautiful and soaring all at the same time. And what could be more American than that?

Here's a YouTube video of the band performing the song in Portland, OR during its recent reunion tour.

No comments: